Sunday, October 16, 2011

7. Journal Writing: The Chase - Anne Dillard

Why do you suppose Dillard remembers in such vivid detail the rather insignificant even she describes? What incidents from your childhood seem momentous even now?

Even though the event may not be an important one, the driver’s determination to chase down the kids to lecture them created a rather big impression on the author. It was not the event itself that was significant, but rather the ideas behind it. Who would go to such lengths as to run miles just to chase down kids and to lecture them on such a harmless event as throwing snowballs of passing cars? Most adults wouldn’t waste their time on such trivial childish games. The emotional ties behind the event are what caused the author to remember the event in such detail even until she was an adult. The sensation and pressure of being hunted after was intense. The author even described the driver as glorious for his actions because he out so much strength into getting his goal.
These memories of seemingly trivial events can be magnified by the emotions attached to it. I can still remember clearly the time when my sister locked me out in the gardens of our house because we had a fight. I can still remember the expression she had on her face, sneering at me through the windows, and the panic I felt. I can still recall banging on all the windows and doors trying to get people in the house to hear me. Unfortunately, it was a windy day, so the howling wind drowned by shouts behind locked windows and doors. I was let in after the maid heard my screams and hysterical crying. Till this day, the images and feelings are clearing imprinted in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment