Tuesday, September 20, 2011

6. What Shapes Me?

Define a key characteristic that shaped you as a person.


One thing that shaped me as a person is being educated under an American system in Taiwan. Living in such a peculiar lifestyle has caused me to develop some pretty ironic ways. If asked, I would undoubtedly say that my English writing skills are much better than my Chinese. However, in terms of culture and speech, I would identify myself more towards the Taiwanese. I sometimes feel like I am living in this cultural mixture and it can sometimes be pretty confusing. When I am at school, it feels like I am live on a small island of American culture (with Taiwanese influence). However when I leave school, I return to the “reality” of the Taiwanese culture. In terms of the food and housing, my family is pretty Taiwanese. However, my shelf is covered with English books and I seldom even write a single word of Chinese. At home, I am pushed to study like other Taiwanese students. At school, we are encouraged to pursue our leadership and interests. I feel like I am part of both cultures, but cannot fully grasp the whole ideal of either.

No comments:

Post a Comment