Tuesday, April 17, 2012

36. Redefine Integrity

Since we are redefining a word, we might as well start with the dictionary meaning. According to the Marriam-Webster dictionary, integrity means "firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values; incorruptibility".
To tell the truth, I had a vague definition of the word until the PAS community started to over use it. It began with some incident over cheating among the eighth graders, which lead to a school-wide lecture over integrity. The school middle and high school department had to watch a movie and write a report about it. After that, the word became sort of a mocking slogan among the students. I guess most students see the word as honesty and no cheating. 
In our class discussion, Christine mentioned that she thinks that having integrity is being true to yourself. It hit me then that that is exactly how I feel towards the words too, I just never had the words to grasp the idea. I think a person's integrity is largely defined by their own values. Just like any other values, it can be influenced by others, but it is usually not easily changed and people hold on to them. I think having integrity is doing things that will not leave a shadow in your heart and you can do them without regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment